applications – membrane protein crystallisation
With TTP Labtech’s mosquito LCP you can automate your membrane protein crystallisation screening, optimisation and scale-up. It allows you to use smaller volumes of precious protein sample with no risk of cross contamination, resulting in cost savings and allowing more extensive screening.
This includes the automated set-up of the following membrane protein crystallisation techniques:
- lipidic cubic phase (LCP) additions
You can also automate all the popular standard protein crystallisation techniques using the same instrument:
- hanging drop
- sitting drop
- additive screening
There is no need to make set-up changes to the instrument when changing techniques. Simply select the protocol you need and run.
The in meso LCP crystallisation technique uses highly viscous lipid mesophases to contain the insoluble membrane proteins for crystallisation. However, there are a number of technical difficulties which makes this process challenging to automate:
- the viscous nature of the lipids which can be almost solid at room temperature. As a result the addition of protein to the lipid and subsequent reconstitution can be hard to achieve.
- the accurate dispensing of LCP, required for efficient miniaturisation
- the precise positioning of drops for efficient imaging of membrane crystals.
To address these challenges, mosquito LCP offers:
- an optional Mixer, to assist with creating the lipid mix
- both the dispense needle and mosquito’s disposable pipettes use positive displacement pipetting to accurately dispense even highly viscous liquids
- automatic calibration for the LCP dispense needle is combined with highly accurate positioning of screen solution to ensure perfect drop-on-drop placement.